There is a vacuum modulator on the drivers side of the tranny, slightly
towards the front, IIRC. Check the tubing going to it. Again, IIRC, there
is a rubber cap over the adjustment, which is a spring loaded shaft (small
dia.) with a small piece of rectangular metal at right angles to the shaft
which is seated in slots. You pull it out and rotate it one way or the
other, probably about 60 degrees, and try it to see what difference you
made.

However, what you are describing sounds like  no vacuum is making it to the
modulator. The adjuster thingy is for fine tuning the shifts.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Research the blue ufo and associated vacuum plumbing. There is also a
> modulator on the tranny that can be adjusted, but fundamentally the blue
> ufo's job is to soften the shifts at less than full throttle (or cold) by
> altering the vacuum signal to the tranny, and therefore the transmission
> clutch pressure. So be sure it is hooked up correctly to the injection and
> vacuum pumps etc. All the ports on it are marked.
>
> On Aug 8, 2017 11:55 AM, "Kaleb C. Striplin via Mercedes" <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > You have a vacuum hose loose somewhere
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On Aug 8, 2017, at 1:46 PM, Craig via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > In our '90 E300D, I have noticed the shifting varies from hard to
> REALLY
> > > hard. I would think this is not good for things.
> > >
> > > It doesn't bother me if I remember to have my head pushed back into the
> > > headrest, but I wonder what it is going to the flexible couplings and
> the
> > > other things in the driveline. In going up the mountains between here
> and
> > > Albuquerque, if I use the kickdown switch to go to third gear from
> > > fourth, when it does upshift when the slope decreases, there is a loud
> > > CLUNK from the rear end.
> > >
> > > Sometimes in going from first to second, it will chirp the tires. It
> was
> > > particularly exciting one time making a left turn on rain-slicked
> streets
> > > when I wasn't expecting it. That broke the whole rear end loose and
> > > required some speedy skid correction.
> > >
> > > Will changing the transmission fluid help this?
> > >
> > > Is there any adjustment for this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > > Craig

OK Don