The Blackstone info says that if you change your oil every 4000 miles it
doesn't matter what oil you use. What MB says is that you must use oil that
conforms to a certain MB specification if you want to run 10,000+ miles on a
change.

But yes, I believe that Mobil has chosen to cheapen M1 oils, at least the
regular version, after Castrol succeeded in selling fake synthetic crap for
more than Mobil charged for M1 25 years ago. (when Syntec came out it was $5 a
qt and M1 was $4 a quart)

And who was it, Valvoline, that said some M1 didn't even meet the SAE spec on
the bottle?

Mitch.