Funny story….

I get a voice mail on my home phone from the inspector:

“Uh, I came out to check the holes for your piers today, and 15 of the 16 look
good.  The last one has an issue because there’s a baby skunk in the bottom of
it.”

<head slap>

We called a trapper, animal recovery person, you name it, and every one gave us
a different suggestion on how to get the baby skunk out of the hole (these were
four foot deep 12” diameter holes in very heavy clay, I might add.)  We knew a
woman who did bird of prey rescues in the area, so we called her.

“Put a garden hose down the hole and turn it on.  If the little stinker doesn’t
drown (or even if he does) he’ll float to the top and you can get him out or
he’ll leave of his own accord.”

And that’s what we did.  I dumped a garden hose into the hole, turned on the
spigot full blast, then retreated into the house to watch from inside through
the sliding glass doors.  In about 2-3 minutes we could see the water level
getting near the top, and then the baby skunk comes splashing out, walks out
onto the lawn, shakes off the water and waddles off into the brush behind the
house.

At least I didn’t have to entomb them under my pier.

-D