I'm going to silver city, NM for a 1 week retreat at a strict  Benedictine
monastery (during Lent!) - it will be quiet, lots of  praying, hard work, early
to bed, early to rise, little food, caring  for sheep, time to read. Went about
6 years ago - forget about chicken  soup for the soul - this is a colonic for
the soul! It was great...I  realize it doesn't sound great, but it truly an
incredible experience -  sharing in the lives of these holy, hard working men.
You generally  think of monks as sort of sissy pray all day types - these guys
are  workers - built the place almost completely themselves by scratch.  Really
impressive. They take praying as serisously as working - and  once a week, they
have an afternoon of recreation - hiking around the  Gila national forest (I
think) and TALKING! Don't think they get a  recreation during Lent...or as much
food.

  Anyway, I am on a pretty tight driving schedule KC to Albuqueraue on  Sat,
Albuquerque to silver sity on Sunday (via painted desert adn  petrified forest
state park highway), then monastery, then leave the  folowing sat to aurora, CO
passing through alma, CO (highest town in  North America at 14,246 feet) and
taking the highest paved road in  North Am (CO-130 or Co-150, forget now - at
14,400+ feet). Then Sunday  back to KC (stopping at Cathedral of the Plains -
biggest Church west  of MS river when built by German immigrants in the midddle
of nowhere  Kansas in the 1800's)

  SO, As much as I would love to have a little gettogether with the SW  list
members, I won't have any time to do so this year.Since I work for  a Catholic
company, in addition to 3 weeks of vacation, I get one week  off for retreat,
IF i decide to take it. This is the first time I've  done it in years. NEXT
year, I can go to the monastery again and  instead of seeing painted deserts
and petrified forests and really tall  roads, I'll be sure to let y'all know so
we can have a little 1 day  weekend get together. That would be great. Bob
could take us on a tour  of the nuclear plant!

  Thanks for asking, guys. I appreciate the friendships and invites.

  Chris

Bob Rentfro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  You're coming to AZ?

Bob Rentfro