Do all cpaps require those funky nasal pillows? They  make my nostrils so
sore that I need a day to heal.

On Aug 23, 2017 12:36 AM, "archer75--- via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

FWIW: Here is the history of PPB (positive pressure breathing) with
excerpts:

snip...Over the past 40 years we have developed a greater understanding of
the mechanisms and consequences of VILI (Figure 7). We understand that the
key variable is not airway pressure per se, as elegantly demonstrated by
Bouhuys in studies of musicians playing musical instruments (Figure 8)
(24), but was due to overdistension of the lung as demonstrated by Dreyfuss
and Saumon, who suggested the term volutrauma to highlight that it was not
the absolute airway pressures per se that were important, but the
overdistension (25)...snip

Snip...In 1997, we identified a mechanism of injury that we called
biotrauma (i.e., the biological consequences associated with mechanical
ventilation) (26, 27). We showed that injurious forms of ventilation (i.e.,
those that promote atelectrauma or overdistension) could lead to release of
mediators in the lung. Coupled with the increased permeability due to the
underlying disease being treated (e.g., ARDS) or the increased permeability
caused by overdistension, mechanical ventilation could lead to
translocation of mediators, bacteria, or endotoxin into the systemic
circulation (27, 28). This in turn could cause end-organ dysfunction distal
to the lung (e.g., kidneys) and lead to multiorgan failure (Figure 9) (29).
This mechanism could explain the fact that most patients with ARDS who die
do so not because of hypoxemia but because of multiorgan failure...snip

http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/full/10.1164/rccm.201503-0421PP
> From: Kaleb C. Striplin
> So are these machine truly automatic or do they have to set a base
pressure range of some sort and it adjusts from there?

Mitch Haley wrote:
 "Kaleb C. Striplin  wrote:
> >> So how bad did I get screwed? Would I have saved much by shopping
around locally?

> > I have no idea, but I suspect they all charge some inflated price and
the insurance company knocks it down to what it should have been to start
with.
> > If the DME is in your insurance network, they should give you a refund
if what you might owe on the EOB from your insurance company is less than
what you prepaid.

> > The entire medical world seems to work this way, then some poor slob
walks in without insurance and they charge him $2800 for a $900 machine and
expect him to pay it.

> > I have no idea why Resmed's high end machines that sense Apnea and
Hypoapnea in real time always ship from the factory set to not display your
AHI (Apnea/Hypoapnea Index, or # of breathing disturbances per hour).

> > Mitch.

---
http://www.avg.com