I had to replace the dead lower heater element in our electric water heater
today - 5 years old and could hardly get it out of the tank.

The sales person at the local plumbing supply house said I need a "water
conditioner", not a water softener, though he wasn't clear on the
difference, and the item he had to sell me was labeled a softener.

Do any of you have experience or know about the non-salt "water
conditioners" such as these?

1) http://ecoflow.co/pdf/Ecoflow%20Whole%20House%20Brochure.pdf
2) http://www.clearwatersystems.com/saltless-scale-reducing-system-srs/
3)