Spent considerable time trying to find something on the Internet under Steel, composition etc ... nothing .... looked at failures shows even stainless steel can have internal corrosion. Which is news to me today: I know low grade SS will rust ....

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8007/8007notw4.html

I recalled a bridge collapse, where internal parts of the steel had small pockets of rust, later making crack and then the break comes .... I should say, there are impurities in the steel in small pockets which start the process of corrosion and then rust. Guess rust can be an impurity too not complete remove by not being burned off ....

Bill
1980 300 TD