Hemingway's 6-toed cats weather the storm unharmedPublished: Monday,
September 11, 2017

While Hurricane Irma caused widespread devastation in Florida, it spared
the cats living in Ernest Hemingway's old Key West home.

Everyone was ordered to evacuate from the Florida Keys last week as Irma
approached. But Jacque Sands, general manager of the Ernest Hemingway Home
and Museum, refused to leave. She vowed to stay on the property with the
house's 54 cats, many of which have six toes and are descended from
Hemingway's own white polydactyl cat.

Animal lovers and even one of Hemingway's granddaughters pleaded with Sands
to flee to safety. But Sands said the cats and the humans caring for them
would be fine inside Hemingway's house, where the limestone walls are 18
inches thick.

And in a bit of good news today, Dave Gonzales, the house's curator,
confirmed that the cats had survived just fine. He said 10 employees stayed
on-site during the storm.

The building's limestone exterior helped keep its interior cool for the
felines, Gonzales said, adding that "hopefully, things will get back to
normal in Key West and we'll enjoy our life in paradise" (Maggie Astor, *New
York Times* <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/us/hemingway-cats-irma.html>,
Sept. 11). *— MJ*