I have a friend, who is probably 80+ now, who had a coupla Corvettes back in his young stud days, and kept blowing up the engines.  Seems the valve trains were not up to the goals of the design, so they would let go during spirited driving.  Unloaded the last one in '67 and bought a '66 230SL which he still has, and still drives spiritedly with no issues in the 50 years of ownership.  And, it still looks brand new.

(I believe it has a vestigial back "seat" but I think his days of attempting any feats in it might have long passed...)

Which reminds me, I need to call him.

--R