FWIW: Had an interesting talk with Dr. John, a DVM. He was telling me that "Up Nort" (near the 49th parallel) that he gets 30-35% of the dogs he gets testing positive for lyme ALL YEAR AROUND. The dogs don't show symptoms, but the tests for antibodies show somewhere around 200 or higher where an unaffected pooch tests about 30. His advice was to use Prescription anti-tick stuff (he said not frontline or other OTC stuff) TWELVE months out of the year. He said the dogs that were treated only for 6 months tested positive at the same rate as untreated dogs. I don't remember the names of the drugs he named, but your vet should know.

My interpretation is that the field rats are active 12 months of the year, and breeding deer ticks and other ticks year round. Dogs (and cats) are active 12 months of the year also. So as the field rats drop off new crops of ticks, dogs are likely to sniff a field rat trail, and pick up the freshly dropped ticks, even if it is 20 to 30 below.

If the ticks are active in the cold "nort", then for the rest of the country, at least where field rats (200-300 lb) or timber rats (about 150-200 lb) are present, then the ticks are present year around and you and your pooch are in danger. I hear of many dogs in the 7 yr old range with "arthritis" or bad joints" etc, that I now suspect are actually suffering the effects of chronic Lyme.

Contrary to what is generally spread, the rash from (generally deer) tick bites (lyme disease) are not always target shaped, but often an long oval that looks and feels like a bad first degree burn. CDC and AMA continue to deny and downplay the range and severity of Lyme disease. I can tell you for sure that the MIssissippi and ohio river valleys as well as the northeast US are infested with field rats and timber rats carrying deer ticks and disease.

Good info about Lyme is available from Dr. Scott Taylor, a researcher at the vet med research Institute (VMRI) who also has chronic Lyme. Do a duck duck go search on "Dr. Scott Taylor Lyme" DuckDuckGo.com

Deer season is on us. Do your duty, get deer tags and fill em, even if you only drop off the carcass/meat for prisoners or needy. The car, or dog, or life you save may be YOURS!

Some bozo imported 10 or 20 longhorns into the Midwest, and I got a Lone Star tick bite within 1/4 mile of this idiot's cattle. So, now Lone star ticks (and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) are not just in the southwest. The field rats are already spreading them too.