The white smoke on the right side of the engine at startup (and soot the rest of the time) is likely the small SS flexible tube connecting the front exhaust manifold to the rear exhaust manifold. It is also possible that the dongle on the front of the front exhaust pipe is leaking if it has not been deleted and plugged. A third possibility is the flex hose on the exhaust pipe below the turbo. But in my experience, the short SS flex coupler is the culprit. It only soots up the engine compartment if you let it leak. The proper fix is to remove the front manifold and replace it. It probably could be patched with a fiberglass exhaust pipe repair.

I've let mine leak until I need to get the turbo off, then take off the front manifold.

injector return lines are cheap.

Maybe the seller will provide you with a set of injector holders to rebuild and then replace the current leaky nozzle holder along with the others and the nozzles.

Craig via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
September 7, 2017 at 11:03 PM
On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 18:53:07 +0000 Donald Snook <d...@snooklawllc.com>

Perhaps that's explained by weeping injector fuel return lines, very loud
klatta and rough running when it's first started, and an injector (#4?)
that is leaking at the joint in its body. In addition, when it's first
started and running rough, it periodically puts white smoke out the tail
pipe and some place on the right side of the engine.

Craig