I must have missed the original post on this.

I see that you went to the gas station and then it would not start but I don't see what the symptoms were.
Did it crank or click or was it basically dead?
You mention a braided cable that appeared to be corroded so I assume that you believe that to be the problem and are just wondering why that failed.

However, since you mention it is a Toyota, I will relate a past experience with them - although things may well have changed since my issue.

I had a 95 Toyota 4Runner for a number of years a while back. It got to where it would not always start when one turned the key. I found that if I just turned the key to start and back a few times it would generally ultimately start. It got worse however and since the engine was fuel injected, it would get a shot of fuel from the cold start injector every time I turned the key. That posed a problem as it would then run rough and pour black smoke out the tailpipe until it burned off the excess fuel. I was concerned that it might damage the engine so I decided it was time to fix or repair the starter.

What I found when I dismantled the starter is that 2 copper contacts were essentially burned up. I was able to get the copper parts for a couple of dollars and once installed, it worked fine for the rest of the years that we had the vehicle.

see the link below

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

RB