With Amazon Prime you can download music onto your device and listen to it offline (and movies too) and it is just sorta "borrowed" I guess.

My daughter unit got me listening to podcasts, there is an infinite variety of stuff out there for free, including back programs of radio shows.  Some have a bit of commercial sponsorship but it is not really intrusive.  I recently listened to Crime Town about Providence RI, which was excellent as I recall Buddy Cianci and his shenanigans, and S-Town about this small town in Alabama, which is excellent but might not be to all tastes.  Or local paper has a weekly podcast about the restaurant scene in town, I downloaded a whole bunch of them and listened to them all on my road trip in August.

--R