Thanks Jim,

    Very well explained.

LarryT

On 10/09/2017 11:48 AM, Jim Cathey wrote:
My experience is that you can't pay _anybody_ to care as much as you do, hence the DIY at my house.

Current _is_ amps!  Heat derives from current through resistance.  It's a mathematical product, so as either goes up so does the heat.  (Amps times amps times resistance, actually.)  Solder is used to _seal_ and secure a low-resistance mechanical connection between the copper wires, very little current is actually preferentially going through the more resistive lead as compared to the copper, unless the mechanical joint is poor.  In no way should any properly soldered joint get hot enough on its own to melt the solder. If it did, it'd be melting the insulation in the area too, maybe even starting a fire.

-- Jim