I have not personally messed much with glass.  I would like to perfect the
windscreens on the W126 one day.

A B-i-L was big into star gawping.  He build his own peeper and milled mirrors
for it.  That took a bunch of time, and ended up with early hubble optics due
to not paying proper attention and grinding the thing too deep.  From chatting
with him, it wants low and slow to get a good polish to glass.  I am not sure
something as large as a windscreen could be done in a timely manner.  Something
like 12 hours with multiple DA units to move over the whole surface in a full
map.

clay