What Dwight says. Practice makes perfect.  I can probably do it without a
mirror, it would just take me longer.  Getting everything balanced out can take
a minute or two. A lot depends on the "hand", or the type of fabric the tie is
made of. Don't buy cheap bow ties - they're much harder to tie and get looking
nice. A high quality silk bow tie is a joy to tie and usually sets right up the
first time out. Cheap polyester and synthetic fabric ties are a battle, and
often won't hold a knot for any length of time.

And of course, clip ons are a no-no, except maybe in formal wear. Wait - not
even there, really.

-D