Yup! When I was in HS, one of my friends knew a pair of brothers who had a construction company and had 2 houses with a shared driveway. Between the houses was what looked like a 2 car garage, but it was their private trap club. They let us go there whenever we wanted to shoot trap. We went so often that I had to start reloading 12 ga. It was a blast.

Find a range that will rent the hardware to you.

I started when I was maybe 8 or 10 at the county fair. They had a sideshow booth with winchester 98 or 06 pump 22 short only rifles. I think they used cb caps. Then came marksmanship merit badge at the Boy Scout camp using single shot bolt gummit rifles at 11. The skills learned then still hold.

TRY IT! You'll LOVE IT! Shoulder, hand, or trap, skeet, or "sporting clays"

Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
November 15, 2017 at 1:51 PM
So here is a thought to our anti-gun colleague:

Whether you would want to carry or own or use a gun, going to the range and shooting can be very relaxing in an interesting way. When you are shooting you need to clear your head of extraneous thoughts and focus totally on what you are doing -- loading the weapon, handling the weapon, aiming, holding, shooting, and adjusting as necessary to hit your target. It becomes very "zen"-like as you really do clear out all the nagging thoughts that stay with you as you go about your business during the day. I find that I leave the range with this very calm sense of things having focused for an hour or so on that activity to the exclusion of everything else. If you go with a friend you can compare your performance and guns and have some comradery in that way too.

It is not particularly intimidating, though you might feel "uncomfortable" around men and women who have some skills around use of guns. You might also find out they are nice people and would do anything for you, even if you wore your H-> or Feel the Bern shirt.

But YMMV though you might want to give it a try sometime, you might be surprised that you actually have some fun and could (horrors!) enjoy it!

--FT