Just to follow up on this subject…

After being able to better observe the results of polishing the windshield in
both light and dark, I can say that my original impressions were wrong.  That
is, polishing did take out a great deal of scratches from windshield wiper
wear.  However, the pitting that existed from general wear and tear does not
seem to have been affected.  At least not enough to say that it’s less or was
diminished by the polishing.

So I guess the take away is that if you have linear scratches in your
windshield or windows, polishing can and will take them out.  It does not
appear to have a noticeable affect on pitting.

-D