For my bathroom stone (rain forest green "marble") I went to a local shop that is/was owned by an Iranian from California, sold tile and all kinds of stone stuff from a warehouse.  He would have auctions every 6 months or so and sell big lots of stuff pretty cheap.  I think he just imported container loads of it from Italy and the ME so not a lot of markup.  He had 7 prefabbed slabs 8ft long of this stone, got all of them for like $800.  I initially only bought 5, there were two left that had some cracks or chunks broken off or something, he tried to get me to buy those too for the same price, I ended up giving him $100 for both I think, and he was in pain (I felt good about beating down a rug, er, stone, merchant).  My Russian stone guy ("Eugene" or Yevgeny I think) fabbed them for me, he didn't care.  They came out very nice.  I still have 2 of them to use for something, sometime, maybe.

The kitchen island stone was a VERY expensive slab of "Fusion" granite (actually not granite but some other kind of stone), it was pretty big, so even after fabbing the top I had a piece about 30"x 70" left over for something in the future.  It is gorgeous stuff.

Down at the luxury gated resort community the rich folks buy these 4 or 5 year old houses, do a gut job, then completely redo them.  I had a buddy who was a builder over there, he told me about tearing out very high-end stuff from houses that had barely been used as 2nd or 3rd homes, beautiful stone, Viking appliances, cherry, walnut, exotic flooring, cabinets, all kinds of stuff. Usually he or his guys would just take it and either sell it or use it or give it away. He completely remodeled his son's house using these recycled materials, said it was gorgeous when he finished with it.  I kept after him to let me in on some of this but he never did. (Some buddy huh?)

--FT