Actually, my first call was to Animal Control.  Animal Control told me they
could do nothing without permission of the property owner (who was USDA in St.
Louis after foreclosure).  To their credit, Animal Control did visit the place
and verified that the abandoned house provided adequate shelter (access through
missing windows panes in doors) so they did not consider it an animal abuse
emergency.