There are components that are more expensive than batteries which could send a
Prius to the junkyard. The batteries are rebuildable since they are composed of
many separate cells that can be replaced for roughly $45 each and then
carefully balanced. The usual life expectancy of the cars is probably 250,000
up, but I'm just guessing. One of the best information sources is
Priuschat.com, and there are also useful sites in Canada and other foreign
countries.
I don't remember what kind of batteries the version ones had, but the version
two's like mine had nicads, the same type rechargeable batteries that you can
buy at the drugstore. Some or all later versions have NiMH I think.
These are finicky little cars with a lot of gotchas. Put the wrong fluid in
something under the hood and you've just made a several thousand dollar mistake.
Gerry