#1 daughter and I played someone on one of those. Never did anything with the scam check and they never asked for it back. I think a lot of those are small time scammers trying to clear a grand to buy beer/booze for the month.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 21, 2017 at 2:51 PM
OK, folks, I’ve got a classic mail fraud/bank scam going and I want to know how you think I should proceed. No guarantees, but I’ll be looking forward to some creative responses. Here’s the setup:

I have a Casio electronic piano for sale on Craigslist for $449.00.

I got an email from a potential buyer named “Emma”. Emma wanted to buy my piano for her fiancé, but she’s not going to be in town until the end of the month. She said she would send me a check for the piano and some additional money to give to the movers who would come and collect it for her.

I gave her my street address and name.

Today a cashier’s check drawn on Comerica Bank for $1600.00 showed up in a Priority mail Express envelope.

I called Comerica to verify the authenticity of the check. It’s bogus. The check was drawn on a Comerica branch in San Jose, CA and dated for the 20th.

The Priority Express envelope was mailed from Mesa, AZ.

I have not contacted “Emma” about the check yet, however, if I go silent I suspect she’s going to reach out to me. My first thought it to take this to the USPS and let them deal with it, as Postal Inspectors can always use something to do. Then again, as this is the classic “I’ll give you extra money you can give to someone else” ploy I wonder if I should string her along somehow…

?????

-D