So I have a couple of 140 diesels that I need to do something with.  One I bought a while back that supposedly has a dead motor.  The other one I bought a while back supposedly had something wrong with it and they pulled the head off and it is currently apart with the parts in the trunk.  I also have several .96 motors sitting around.  I would prefer to keep a 3.5 a 3.5, but have been thinking about swapping in a 3.0.  I know the .97 is lower RPM and has more torque, but how much of a difference would it be to drop in a .96?  Would the gearing be any different? Would it be worth while to swap the updated .97 head onto the .96?  Should the .97 IP be swapped onto the .96?  What about Turbo?  Anybody have any thoughts or ran into anybody that has done this swap?  I do have the 350SDL that the fuse box caught on fire but has the factory rebuilt with updated rods engine.  Still trying to decide if its a parts car or if I should splice wires and fix the wiring to the fuse box.

---
http://www.avg.com