On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 21:18:57 -0600
"M. Mitchell Marmel via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

Dan Penoff wrote:
> > We have a local trapper that comes in with his dogs and traps them for
> > free. He’s given me lots of pork in return.  Yum.
> > He has a couple of dogs that he uses to trap the boars, it’s really pretty
> > cool.  One is a hound (bay) that finds them, the other a (catch) mastiff
> > sort of dog (I don’t know what he breed is) that catches the boars by the
> > throat and holds them until he can get there, snare them and put them in a
> > cage.  Both of the dogs wear these big heavy leather collars with spikes on
> > them.

> I'm minded of that old joke.  "If I fall out of the tree, shoot the damn
> dog!"
> -MMM-
Around here in West Central Florida a wild hog can rip a dog or a person to
pieces with its sharp tusks. The trained "boar dogs" will grab a hog by it's
ears so it can't gore them with its tusks, and another will grab its throat or
hold it while the hunter shoots it.
Wild hogs are not like domestic pigs. They are built more like dogs and can run
like dogs; very dangerous. Your only escape from a wild hog that's chasing you
is to go up a tree or the bed of a pickup truck if you're not armed.
Since boar meat around here can taste "gamey", most of it is ground into
sausage. It's some of the best sausage I've ever eaten.
Gerry

---
http://www.avg.com