I find citric acid in the bulk bins at the local produce store. It's pretty
cheap there too.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of clay monroe
via Mercedes
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 7:03 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Cc: clay monroe
Subject: [MBZ] Hard to give advice

I was playing with the coolant in Allen.  Thermostat seems to have failed open,
so it is as good a time as any to try to degrease and get the scale out of the
engine.

I could find only some tiny jars of citric acid, so am using some blue jug
descale thing that needs to live in the car for a few hours of road time.  I
guess I can do that this week.  I had flushed the old (which looked really
good) Orange antifreeze.  Must have been Zerex, but I did not know just how
long it had been in, and the car has been mine for a year.

So, I have emptied, flushed to clear water, and am getting ready to put in the
descaling goop, when a german sounding woman came over to tell me how she liked
seeing Polei, and that I must surely be german, if I have that car.  I am not,
but we chatted on about things and she inquired as to my opinion regarding
replacing her 2002 C class with another benz.  I was not really supportive,
based on just how much of a pig the W220 was.

She purchased her car new, and it spent the first year racking up almost $8k of
service work, but has been fairly good over the past 15 years, with two other
expensive failures.  I pointed her toward oriental cars.  She asked after BMW,
which I could not fault, other than they are just as complex, expensive, and
maybe no better than the C class for initial quality.

The best I could say was to avoid the local dealer, and try one about 20 miles
away, as the newer shop might not be run by scum, the way the SEA dealer is.
It could be that the new C is better than the millennial S.

clay

1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei
1982 300 SD - Allen

retired models-
2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored crap
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
1995 E300D - Gave her life to save me against a Dame in a SUV POS 1987 SDL -
Beware Nigerian Scammers