On 29/01/2018 7:27 AM, Curley McLain via Mercedes wrote:
Not for alloy wheels.   Tar changers for alloy wheels have to have the plastic cover to prevent scratching and dinging up the alloy.

tyee165 via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 29, 2018 at 7:20 AM
https://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-62317.html

No doubt one would need to take extra care and maybe put something on the wheel to protect it where it comes in contact with the tire machine. - Duct tape? However, I think it could be done and the machine is not expensive. The biggest issue then is where to install it. If need be, I think it could be bolted to a 4X4 square of plywood so that it could be used without permanent installation in one's garage. Then it could be dismantled between uses. I think Fred's suggestion of an old leather glove might work fine to protect the edge of the wheel when sliding the bar around the rim. I would also agree that it would likely be better to have the new tires installed by a shop with better equipment once the wheels have been repainted.

I have one of these things bolted down in my garage and although I don't use it much, it is handy to change things like trailer tires. It does take some space but I have other stuff piled around it so not a big issue. I just have to move things when I want to use it. I have been thinking that I might want to get one of the other changers that is intended for things like lawn tractor tires.

RB