When I bought my 1963 Cadillac Fleetwood it was in a private body shop for
three months.  One of those places where the guy says, “Drop it off and I’ll
tell you when it’s done.”  He was a master, for sure.

First weekend I had the car out we were at the local Saturday night car
gathering at the local small town Dog ’n’ Suds (Midwesterners will know what
I’m talking about here.)  This was an evening get-together of everyone in the
area with cars and enthusiasts of all kinds, sort of an evening cars and coffee.

You could leave your car unlocked and unattended and presumably no one would
mess with it.

I came back from walking around and there as some little sh*t sitting on the
hood of my freshly painted car.  Resisting the urge to beat him within an inch
of his life, I ran him off, only to notice that a rivet on his jeans had
scratched the once pristine newly painted finish on my car.  Arrrgh!

I took it back to my body guy and he touched it up.  Then he took me aside and
sat me down in his office.

“Dan, if you never expect to get a nick or scratch in the surface of this paint
job, drive the car home, put it in the garage, cover it, and never take it out.
 If you want to drive and enjoy the car, expect that there will always be a
level of wear and tear that it will experience no matter what.”

I heeded his advice and drove the car on nice days regularly.  It did get an
occasional rock chip in the rather extensive surface on the hood, but I would
dutifully touch these up and move on.

-D