I was trying to turn over an M116 this afternoon by hand. It seems to be hitting something hard at about 180ยบ from TDC on the crank. I took loose the belts, and I don't see anything external that would interfere with it turning over. That made no difference. If it was an OM 621 or 61x, I'd say the end of a prechamber broke off and is hitting the top of the piston as it approaches tdc. I suppose a spark plug could break off, or something could be interfering with the timing chain or one camshaft.

Where would you start looking?