Back in the late 60s/early 70s my dad, who was an electronics engineer, was talking with some guys and sketched out an idea for an electronic calculator using whatever ICs were available, or maybe discrete components, whatever was available at the time. THe other guys kinda poo-pooed it so he never really pursued it. So then a coupla years later a company called Bowmar that was in town, and some guys he peripherally knew had started the company, built the "Bowmar Brain" which was kinda the first handheld calculator.  I don't think he was FOS as he always kicked himself for not pursuing the idea at the time.

I could own a whole fleet of Benzes now if he had done that.  Oh, wait...

--FT