> Friden mechanical calculator in the office for routine stuff.  It was
> capable of division

I have a number of these machines, procured when in high school for $3
each, or free.
Friden, Marchant, and Monroe.  IIRC they cost as much as a car when new.
One Friden
model would do square roots, but I never got one of those.  I also have an
HP-35,
given to me some time ago, it lives on the workbench.  The calculator I
purchased
for school was an HP-29C, $190 IIRC.  Half of a semester's tuition at the
time, it was
a stretch.  I still have it, it still works.

-- Jim