...turn around and go home, there isn't enough voltage to run them (or the car
for very much longer).

The ML350 went about 20 miles, then put the traction control light on, then it
put on  some more warning lights including the brake failure light, then it
slowed to 40 mph, then a half mile later slowed to 20mph, and when I shifted
into park it shut the engine off. I had to jump it to get it to shift back out
of park to go on the tow truck.

And no, I never saw a charging system warning light or message. I don't even
know if it shows warning messages on the odometer display like the S210 does.

Mitch.