Wind energy comes and goes with gummint subsidies.

I had the good fortune back in the early 80s to do some work on the first very large wind turbines.  Got to tour the factory in Hartford CN where Hamilton Standard were making 250ft blades for some 5MW machines, which was quite interesting.  Very simple process involving epoxied fiberglass rope being wrapped on a mandrel on a large lathe with a traveling rope dispenser that went back and forth laying down the rope like a giant ball of string. or thread on a spool.  The rope came off a spool, ran through a barrel of epoxy, then onto the mandrel and blade that built up. Then went to tour the machine in Wyoming near Medicine Bow where they had an installation of a 2 or 3 different kinds.   Got to go up in one, 250ft tall.  When they first turned it on they had a problem in that it was wired backwards, and for some reason the power meter was also wired backwards so it started pulling 5MW off the grid instead of pushing it out, basically running like a giant fan.  The grid operator BPA rang them up right quick and asked what the hell they were doing, the engineers said everything was fine, they were pushing 5MW out.  After a bit of discussion they shut it down and discovered both errors that kinda canceled each other.

I have some photos somewhere, I should dig them out.

A coupla years later after the Jimmah Cahtah Moral Equivalent of War (MEOW) subsidies expired so did the wind bidness.

--R