It'd be tough to say the wind business is dead, buncha them gone up in Maine
and around here too...
-Curt

    On Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 9:33:14 AM EST, Floyd Thursby via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 Wind energy comes and goes with gummint subsidies.

I had the good fortune back in the early 80s to do some work on the
first very large wind turbines.  Got to tour the factory in Hartford CN
where Hamilton Standard were making 250ft blades for some 5MW machines,
which was quite interesting.  Very simple process involving epoxied
fiberglass rope being wrapped on a mandrel on a large lathe with a
traveling rope dispenser that went back and forth laying down the rope
like a giant ball of string. or thread on a spool.  The rope came off a
spool, ran through a barrel of epoxy, then onto the mandrel and blade
that built up. Then went to tour the machine in Wyoming near Medicine
Bow where they had an installation of a 2 or 3 different kinds.   Got to
go up in one, 250ft tall.  When they first turned it on they had a
problem in that it was wired backwards, and for some reason the power
meter was also wired backwards so it started pulling 5MW off the grid
instead of pushing it out, basically running like a giant fan.  The grid
operator BPA rang them up right quick and asked what the hell they were
doing, the engineers said everything was fine, they were pushing 5MW
out.  After a bit of discussion they shut it down and discovered both
errors that kinda canceled each other.

I have some photos somewhere, I should dig them out.

A coupla years later after the Jimmah Cahtah Moral Equivalent of War
(MEOW) subsidies expired so did the wind bidness.

--R

On 3/5/18 9:44 PM, Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes wrote:
> He's blathering again.  It's time for his meds.
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 6:10 PM, Curley McLain via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
>> Shoot!  I'd be happy if they'd blow 1% of that pile my way!
>>
>> Reality sucks when it comes to greenie weenie plans!
>>
>>> G Mann via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
>>> March 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM
>>> What is the recovery on investment for $400 million? What price per KW
>>> does the electricity have to sell at in order to accommodate days [or
>>> weeks] when wind is not sufficient to turn such large blades?
>>>
>>> And, finally, how much of the $400 million investment is matching funds
>>> from government?
>>>
>>> In my view, an excellent opportunity to "blow away $400 million dollars".

--FT