Luther Gulseth wrote:
Tonight I checked compression and the turbo on my coupe. The turbo spins freely under my fingers, the shaft has around 1/32" play.
1=300
2=300
3=380
4=330
5=360

Could I have 2 oil loss locations? The turbo and the head gasket between 1&2? TIA all,

In Mercedes diesels, low compression and oil consumption are often NOT tightly correlated. The oil control rings often fail to control oil consumption LONG before compression suffers. This is particularly true with the OM603.97 rod bender engines, but it applies to all the '80s and '90s Mercedes diesels.

The compression spread on that engine is almost double what Mercedes permits, but that could result from a couple of injectors dribbling and causing carbon buildup on the #1 and #2 pistons. That will greatly increase oil consumption until the injectors are replaced and the carbon is burned out (that can take 250-500 miles of HARD driving or a lot longer if not driven hard). A couple of hanging valves can cause that kind of droop on #1 & 2 cylinders, or the engine/rings could be worn. That's rare on that engine even when the engine has some 400-500kmi on it. It's unlikely to be a head gasket (no easy way to tell until it get's VERY bad - the engine needs to be at the top end of the optimal range before early head gasket problems will show up and oil consumption isn't usually a symptom of that kind of gasket problem!

Marshall

'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi