A year or so ago I knocked a lantern off its peg, it landed exactly upside down
and pushed in the top of the tank (fount is the term we use). This is a brass
fount lantern so soft and even more likely to crush. I'd tried yanking on it in
various ways and got nowhere.

Today I went to the hardware store, bought a few fittings and a grease nipple.
I filled the fount with some of the wet ATF from the Pisten Bully (need to boil
it down...) put my cobbled fittings on top and filled that with more ATF, then
put the grease fitting into place and pumped in some grease.

The top started to push back out but it wasn't even so I took it outside and
used the torch to heat the low part, before my eyes the top pushed right up
into position, maybe not like brand new but good enough that once the collar is
in place you won't be able to tell anything had happened.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4786/40737002991_7d0f8d1766_b.jpg
The picture is immediately after removing the dent, so the fount is still
pressurized.

I'm super pleased, this is a Coleman 236, 500 candlepower, Coleman Fuel, single
mantle, nickle plated brass fount. Fairly rare so I really wanted to fix it.

Guess I need to make video of the technique...

-Curt