Here is what I think about every 6 months -- how can something so universally-hated persist?    At some point in the past I suppose there was some semi-compelling reason to do it but there does not appear to be any such reason now.  The strongest one has something to do with kids going to school, but that seems pretty lame.  It appears there is no energy savings to speak of, maybe even more is being used.

I spent my first 20some years in Indiana where the clocks did not change, but everyone else did.  So in the summer we were in Central Daylight Time zone, an hour behind the east coast, but in the winter we were Eastern Standard Time zone, an hour ahead of Central Standard.  The only real issue was TV shows were on an hour earlier in the summer.  I think a coupla counties near Louisville and Chicago did whatever those cities did, so they changed their clocks mostly so people who worked there were not constantly in some weird situation.  It mattered not to us as the clocks and the sun just kept doing their things and there was a smooth transition among the seasons.

So it seems the states control whether clocks change, I don't think the federal gubmint has anything to do with it.  Next time I find myself amongst any of our elected fools at the state level I need to ax this question.

--FT