The feds meddled in the 70s. Jimmay cahtah's "energy saving" program probably. AZ and HI opted out, but everyone else had to begin and end stupid time on the same day. Fed meddling still exists.

Max, in the beginning it was not about "energy savings" It was about more afternoon time on Wed afternoon when the docs, shysters and bankers closed early to go "hunt golf eggs in a pasture." (Granny Clampett)

Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
March 12, 2018 at 9:37 AM
Here is what I think about every 6 months -- how can something so universally-hated persist? At some point in the past I suppose there was some semi-compelling reason to do it but there does not appear to be any such reason now. The strongest one has something to do with kids going to school, but that seems pretty lame. It appears there is no energy savings to speak of, maybe even more is being used.

I spent my first 20some years in Indiana where the clocks did not change, but everyone else did. So in the summer we were in Central Daylight Time zone, an hour behind the east coast, but in the winter we were Eastern Standard Time zone, an hour ahead of Central Standard. The only real issue was TV shows were on an hour earlier in the summer. I think a coupla counties near Louisville and Chicago did whatever those cities did, so they changed their clocks mostly so people who worked there were not constantly in some weird situation. It mattered not to us as the clocks and the sun just kept doing their things and there was a smooth transition among the seasons.

So it seems the states control whether clocks change, I don't think the federal gubmint has anything to do with it. Next time I find myself amongst any of our elected fools at the state level I need to ax this question.

--FT

Meade Dillon via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
March 12, 2018 at 8:00 AM
DST needs to end. Self-imposed pain that doesn't produce the promised
energy savings.

Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
March 12, 2018 at 7:14 AM
Did the temporal rift over the weekend consume the sun?

--R
Sent from iPhone

clay monroe via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
March 11, 2018 at 11:08 PM
We are in a rare solar event this weekend. The rain will return soon, so I am scrambling to pack lots of little tasks while I can.

Allen seems to not have parking brakes. I thought they were there, but the pedal goes to the floor and the wheels roll with no resistance, so I tried to adjust the shoes. No impact spinning the star. Up on driver/down for passenger. Maybe it will visit a shop instead of spending many hours trying to make the ($**!!*%#%) wee spring to actually hook up.

That led to hooking the working antenna cable to the head unit. Current wire was snipped off to splice into an chinese aftermarket antenna. Had to pull up carpet, a seat, and dig into the console. May as well hook the speakers directly to the radio instead of trying to make the fader work right. Noise was only coming out the driver rear speaker with this unit. Now I can control media from a touch screen, plucked from PnP for $10, over installing one of the vintage Grand Prix that would fetch multiples of that investment flogged on Fleabay. I am not trying to make this a show car.

While wrestling the driver seat, the power wires to the motors had to be reseated, as they fell out somehow. The MBTex seat I installed, came minus the back, so, I needed to make holes to fit the OE panel. That done, I had to liberate the seatbelt dock, as it had become high-centered on a bolt and would not allow the seat to be re-installed.

I popped the trunk and tested the vacuum pump. No vac holding, and pump would not power. Will need to trace where I have a hole, so will not hook the replacement pump to power. Which somehow flowed to under the hood looking at the EGR. That holds vacuum, but will not open. I pulled out and gave it a cleaning. Valve opened by digital manipulation, but not vacuum. Stuff It! Put it back, at least it is clean now.

A side trip to the hardware store to secure some Schedule 40 to build a few stands so I can refinish the Bundt wheels I pulled from PnP. Many $$$ later I had a square base with a set of posts along the middle side arms rising to an apex to hold the rims by the centers of the teepee. A fast wipe down with acetone (I cleaned, filled and sanded rims last month) and I was shaking the rattle cans to prime, paint and clear the backsides of the Bundts. It will be warmer in the morrow, so I will tackle the fronts after lunch.

Last task this night was to blast the console switches with contact cleaner on the off chance they needed it. At least it could not hurt.

clay

1974 450sl - Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei
1982 300 SD - Allen

retired models-
2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored crap
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers