They’re known as “noise encapsulation panels”.  And believe it or not, they do
make a difference, especially on the diesels.

And as you commented, they’re often removed during service and simply not put

Like headlight wipers on the cars that have them, I consider noise
encapsulation panels a canary in the coal mine as to the manner in which a car
was maintained.

> On Mar 12, 2018, at 9:03 PM, Dwight Giles via Mercedes
> <> wrote:
> I take mine off or just don't put them back when they get buggered. I know
> diesels sound reduction etc etc. I have 2 or 3 124 pans,around here.
> Dwight Giles Jr.
> Wickford RI

To search list archives