ned kleinhenz wrote:
Just a point of curiousity --
While cruising through the PDFs in the 124 Shop Manual on CD,
I came across a procedure for "Knocking out and reinstalling steel ball of
main oil gallery"

What does the steel ball do in the main oil gallery?
Why would you want to knock it out?

I don't expect to deal with that steel ball while cleaning up after my
disintegrated vacuum pump.
But I am curious what that part of the engine is all about..

Routinely done when the engine is rebuilt.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi