then there are the stupid timing belts to break. I'll take an OM6xxx any day.

clay monroe via Mercedes wrote:
I think the Jeep thing is due to the simplicity of the engine and low end
torque that a crawler wants.  IT must also mate up well with the under body
goodies.  There is good history with the builds, so it is simple to follow the
beaten path.  They like DANA 40 or 60 off a frod for putting power front and
rear.   I think they like the Exploder transaxles as well.

VW engines are sort of junk and underpowered without an extensive
rebuild/upgrade to get the power desired.  Upgraded injectors, IP, that make it
expensive to make happen.  At least that is the word in the woods in PNW.

clay