I soaked hand saw blades in white "vinegar" It took off the rust pretty well.

clay monroe via Mercedes wrote:
I scored a full tool kit out of a w116 yesterday.  It was falling apart and the
tools had some really good corrosion.  The things were lumpy with nodules, rust
bleeding through the chrome, seized up pliers.

I go the thing home and while unwrapping, the pouch fell apart.  The tools were
whole, butt ugly, but whole.  I recalled that the folks down under like
molasses bath to make the rusted stuff look better.   It usually takes months
while the parts soak.  The guys on yootoobz are doing body panels and fenders.
The tools are small, so maybe they will behave better and quicker.

I made a solution of a quarter cup of thick brown goo and two cups of white
vinegar.  Mix it up in a two quart tupperware, about 9x6”, so the solution is
about 2” deep.  All the wrenches went in, the flat head screw shaft along with
the rusted in philips in the driver handle.  The bar for the spark plug shaft
and the head of the spark shaft with its rusty spring.   The shaft of the thing
was too long to fit, so I coated it with brown goo.   The lug wrench was also
too big, so it had to wait until I had action.

The bath began at 1730 Wednesday, and by this morning it was bubbling away
happily.   The tool jacuzzi went on until I took a look at 2100 today.  The
stuff is working pretty good.  I pulled the 13/14 wrench out and gave it a
scuffing with steel wool and it came out looking real purty like.  The other
tools will need more attention.  I think I will have victory over the weekend.

clay

1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei
1982 300 SD - Allen

retired models-
2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately&  well tailored crap
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers