The W124 clutches don't typically leak out like the later W140 ones. The
bimetallic spring gets ‘tired” and fails to engage at the proper temperature,
if at all.  You can bend the bracket the holds the spring to change the point
of engagement, but after a while even that won’t get it to work.  Someone has
bent the crap out of the bracket on mine, so I’m not even going to consider
reusing it - I want to install a new one.

And mine doesn’t appear to engage at all, which is really noticeable at idle in
traffic on a hot day.

-D