In neutral my '83 240D stick-shift has a typical amount of play in the differential. When shifted into the first, second, and third gear the play is much less and probably what could be expected after 155,000 miles. But when I shift it into fourth there is more play and it seems like it twists against springs or resistance of some sort. The only thing I can think of is the springs on the clutch disk compressing. Still, that seems unlikely since I'm turning the drive shaft by hand without much force.

When driving it seems like there is more play than usual in the driveline.

Anyone know what might be going on?

Thanks,
Gerry Archer
'83 240D and 300D