Hi Gang,

    There have been anecdotal stories of various auto parts being counterfeited back in the 70s that I know of.  The worst (and best documented as I recall) was Mercedes flywheel bolts made in China using questionable quality control that found their way into the supply chain and eventually made it into various auto parts supply stocks.  IIRC they basically broke at very low tensile strengths. I suspect all "modern" countries producing high performance engines fight this battle all the time.

LarryT

91 300D

06 E350AWD