I suspect that you might experiencing the difference between the
gears, and possibly the need for an ALDA adjustment.

My 300SLD was slow up to about 2500 RPM, then it kicked you back in
the seat. I added shims under the ALDA, and now it delivers a smooth
increase in power - more like you'd expect from a Benz.

My 300D 2.5 also has the "turbo lag" that indicates I need to adjust
the ALDA. However, it also smokes more than I think it should,
although the performance is otherwise good. I want to cure the too
lack of air or whatever before adjusting the ALDA.  Neither of which
will happen till the SLC is running however ----