Jim,
Your note about wear leveling and full drives helped me to realize a point.
I've noted that SSDs suffer worse than spinning disks for slowing down when
they get really full. Somebody had told me that it was due to wear leveling,
now I better understand, thanks for that.
We sell an SSD array for video storage that pulls an astounding 3,000MB/s out
of 10 drives to deliver to up to 10 simultaneous client connections. Those
numbers may not seem that impressive but the same system with spinning disk
drives is only 600MB/s.
Side note, we currently support up to 6.4PB total storage. The numbers have
gotten goofy. When I started teaching back in 2006 we supported up to 192TB...
-Curt

    On Thursday, April 12, 2018, 9:38:28 PM EDT, Jim Cathey via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> SSD's are _usually_ faster, and don't have mechanical wear mechanisms.
> But ...

I scraped up an analysis of flash memory that I had written awhile ago,
sanitized it, and put it on my web site.
Feel free to point out where I am wrong!  (If you can...  :-)

http://formicapeak.com/~jimc/flash.html

-- Jim