Winning with the InsCos is a SUPERWIN!

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Dan Penoff
via Mercedes
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2018 3:48 AM
To: Mercedes List
Cc: Dan Penoff
Subject: [MBZ] OT - Homeowner's Insurance WIN!

A month or so ago we were having a get together for the mother in law’s 80th
birthday.  Wife is leaning back on the couch in the family room and notices a
stain on the ceiling  Dang. Roof leak.

We had just had some really violent storms blow through, so we figured they
were the cause of the leak.  Our house is just about 20 years old, so we knew
it was close to new roof time.  We were hoping it would be another year or two
before we had to replace the roof, but this looked like it was going to force
the matter. Darn.

Understand that there is quite the cottage industry using software that closely
monitors the NOAA weather radars and will use GIS to extract exact addresses
under storm tracks and then send a compiled list of those addresses to
subscribers (roofing companies.) These fine folks take that information and
canvass the neighborhoods in an attempt to sell new roofs or repairs using the
homeowner’s insurer.  Basically, they inspect the roof, manage the claim with
the insurer, and have the homeowner sign an AOB (assignment of benefits) so
that they are paid directly for the work.  This isn’t a bad thing necessarily,
however, you’re now locked in to this contractor, like it or not, and they’ll
get the proceeds of your insurance payout regardless of what the work costs.

Anyway, I had avoided these people despite their presence in our area.  I
checked with a couple of friends who had their roofs done recently and got
referrals for a couple of contractors.

One contractor came a few weeks ago, spent about 30 minutes on the roof, gave
me a quote and said that in their opinion there was little to nothing to
warrant an insurance claim.  Bummer.

A day later I was talking to my insurance agent about getting an updated quote
on my homeowner’s insurance once the roof was replaced.  By bringing the roof
up to current code (hurricane requirements) I would get a significant discount
in my homeowner’s insurance.  I mentioned the leak and that I was getting
quotes for a replacement.  He told me I should file a claim with my insurer.
After all, what’s the worst thing that could happen, right?

So the following Tuesday I was working from home and had already scheduled
another roofing contractor to come out and give me an estimate.  The insurance
adjuster said he could come the same day.  That works for me….

They both showed up at the same time.  Not sure if this is good or bad.

So they’re both on the roof for a good 45 minutes.  The insurance adjuster
comes down and inspects the interior of the house, checks out the stain on the
ceiling, etc.  He finishes up and leaves.

The contractor comes down and sits down with me.  He’s got a good 15 minutes of
video on his iPad showing me all of the damage and wear on the roof.  He tells
me that he spent at least 30 minutes of his time with the insurance adjuster
showing him all the issues he found.  Chalk marks all over the roof, lots and
lots of notes, this guy was super thorough.  He gives me a quote and heads out.

Fast forward to Thursday of this week.  I get a call from the insurance
company.  They’re going to replace the whole roof!  Woo-hoo!  I have to believe
it’s due to the efforts of the contractor that went over everything in such
detail with the insurance adjustor.  You can guess who got the job.

So in 2-3 weeks I’m going to have a new, hurricane rated roof at no out of
pocket cost.  Nice.  And my insurance costs are going to drop about 40%, too.

-D