Yeah, those Hondys are bad news. Now, if they had bought a Tojo they could have
relaxed and the Tojo would have driven them home. (Just kidding!)

We Geezers call them Tojo's because General Tojo was the infamous top Japanese
general during WW-2 that everybody hated.

After driving the Tojo 25K miles just around the county; (I've only made 2
trips on the interstate which were sort of hair raising in the middle lane of
I-75 South when surrounded by big cars and trucks doing 80); it's just now
needed it's first repair.

The "Red Light of Death" (check engine light) came on, and testing identified
it as the 12 volt electric pump that drives the inverter cooling system.

The inverter(s) change the 400+ traction battery volts to 12 volts for running
the computers, lights, and all the other geejaws that need 12 volts which
include charging the 12 volt battery; as well as changing the 400+ volts to
140+ volts for running the air conditioning compressor, so it needs it's own
cooling system.
In order to change the 12 volt pump, the left front fender; which is made of
tin that's not much thicker than a tin can, has to be loosened and the left
headlight assembly removed. Then it's a simple job to disconnect the hoses and
install the new pump.

While the Tojo has been down, I've been driving the 240D. I was thinking about
selling the diesels and going "modern", but getting into the innards of the Tojo
changed my mind. There just isn't much between you and a vehicle that hits you
head on in the Tojo or nearly any of the these "modern" short-hooded cars.

Driving the 240D is so much more relaxing than driving the Tojo, I might sell
the Tojo and pretty much rebuild the 240D which needs the usual upgrades of a
35 year old Mercedes; rubber all around, various suspension parts, slow leaking
A/C lines, etc. The 190K engine still runs like a new one, as does the
stickshift transmission. Amazingly the rear axle boots are still in good shape.

Anyway, back to the shop and the Tojo which still needs 3 quarts of coolant and
re-assembly. This car has more nuts and bolts than an old Erector set.

Gerry

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 13:00:48 -0500
Curley McLain via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> This does not have to do with a Smart (TM) car.
>
> Some friends just got home form FL, driving a 2017 Hondog pitot with all
> the latest electronic "smart" crap. "lane control"  "Driver assist" and
> a slew of other "marketing phrases" are built into the POS.    They got
> into schnee for the last 35 or so miles, (out of 1500 or so) and shortly
> after the "Driver assist" electronics went bizerk.   According to their
> report, the thing was steering them all over the road (Interstate).
> They slowed, got off, and continued the last 20  miles or so driving
> slowly on gravel roads.   Apparently the electrons let them drive(or at
> least steer) the veeehicle if they were slow enough.
>
> There is no way (that they can find) to turn off this crap.     When the
> "elektronisch getrankt"  the thing can kill you.
>
> It is quite possible that schnee or road slop froze over some sensor
> that caused this behavior, but whatever the cause, the result is dangerous.
>
> If you have newish vehicles, BEWARE!!    UNSAFE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS!
> WHERE is Ralphie Nadir when you need him?

---
http://www.avg.com