Almost 10 years ago my favorite drill was damaged in a fire. I liked it because it was a slow speed 1/2" in a 1/4 - 3/8 drill chassis. As such it would fit in my little drill box along with bits, screws, anchors, plugs and other related stuff. After it was ruined, I tried for years to find a replacement, then I searched for years for a used one, or a cheap 3/8 drill ro get a new case from. I finally found a 3/8 drill at the univ. junk sale. It was a 1200 RPM VSR, where my drill was an 800 RPM VSR.

I took both apart, and found the stator was riveted to the midsection body. Closer inspection showed that the stator and armature windings appeared to be identical. So I used the midsection, armature, switch and cord from the donor, and put the drill back together again. The drill motor ran, but the chuck didn't turn. Oops! I took it apart again, and looked more closely at the armatures, and found out the donor armature was shorter. So I used the original armature with the donor stator, and reassembled it again. Getting the brush holders in and out was a trick, but by the second time, I had it pretty well down. In the process, I cleaned the gunk out of the gear reduction and lubed with synthetic Moly grease.

So my old drill has the chuck, gear reduction, and armature from the original, and the midsection, stator, switch, cord, and case from the donor. It is still 800 RPM VSR as original, but the case stickers are wrong.

On the second try, it works! I am so happy to have my old drill back again. With it, I can drill joists that are 16" spacing to run wires or pex. I never had a Milwaukee Hole Hawg 90ยบ drill because they are expensive and my BD could do the work, for the occasions I need to. Every potential replacement drill I could find is longer and can't drill joists in place.

I have a HF 1/2" corded drill as a sub, but it does not like to run slow, and smells like burning windings if you work it hard. I have a Milwaukee 3/8 hammer drill. I have dewalt cordless drills, one of which is a high priced hammer drill, but the nicest drill to use is still my 1980 refurb Black and Decker (now dewalt) drill.

WARNING: Lithium grease: The "white lithium" "grease" in the drive (gear reduction) of the drill was dry and hard like chalk. That crap should never be used in anything that you won't clean the "grease" out every year or two. MB content: this leads to the failure of monowiper mechanisms. Clean your monowiper mechanism and grease with synthetic Moly grease, such as Molykote BR2. I have some things where it has been there over 30 years and is still good.

Before and after photos attached. If anyone is interested, I have high resolution before, during and after photos I can send to you, but not to the list because some have dialup access.