On the one hand I can't disagree with you on the safety front, our species is
singularly bad at accurately judging risk, look at all the people afraid to fly
but willing to drive for instance.
On the other hand I like driving and some joy would be lost should I not be
able to. Also how is a self-driving car going to deal with my cabin 3/4 mile
from the road?
As for heavy traffic, our poorly designed cities and lack of public transport
are largely to blame. When I go to LA I end up driving from LAX to Burbank
which takes too long in the best of times. I'd love to be able to take the
train but its so terribly inconvenient its actually easier to drive. Someday
when the rail extension to the airport is done it might be feasible, I look at
it each time I'm there and it seems like progress is being made but only when
measured against the fact that I've been making this trip for a decade, the
month to month progress seems to be essentially zero...
-Curt

    On Friday, June 1, 2018, 1:42:04 AM EDT, Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes